Frequently Asked Questions

Wich version of my paper should be incluided in the repository?

To know which article version should be included in the repository it is necessary to check the journal´s self-archiving policy. This can be consulted directly in the web page of the journal, in the Sherpa/Romeo search engine (for international journals) or Dulcinea (national journals).

Usually the most common version is the postprint (accepted manuscript after the peer review but without the final layout).

More information about the different article´s versions HERE

Is it mandatory to deposit all my academic works in RUO?

It is mandatory only if the work has received public funding. This applies since the entry into force of the new Ley de la Ciencia, la Tecnología y la Innovación in December 3rd, 2011.

The University of Oviedo is committed with the Open Access and the dissemination of the scientific information; it encourages researchers to include their works in RUO. This commitment of the institution is reflected in the Open Access Policy that can be consulted HERE

What is Open Access?

Open Access is an international initiative that promotes the publication of different types of materials and digital resources such as scientific publications, learning materials, etc. in free access.

This kind of publication does not prevent authors from continuing to enjoy control over their work and their right to be properly recognized and cited.

There are two paths to publish in Open Access: self-archiving (the author includes a version of the paper in an institutional repository) and publishing the paper in an Open Access journal.

What are Creative Commons?

Creative Commons is a non-profit organization that under the motto "some rights reserved" provides the author with a tool to exercise his/her rights and transfer some of them on certain occasions.

It establishes four conditions of use (attribution, non-commercial, no derivatives and share alike) that combined; result in six different licenses to choose from.

The use of these licenses is free of charge.

You can consult all the information about Creative Commons in its Web

What should I do if I want to include a PDF in a record that exists in RUO?

If the record is already in RUO, you should send the file to indicating the article version (preprint, postprint, published version).

To know the version that you can attach to the record you can consult directly the web page of the journal, in the Sherpa/Romeo search engine (for international journals) or Dulcinea (national journals).

Can I upload to RUO a paper already published on an academic journal?

You need to know the rights you have given to the publisher and what is their Open Access policy before taking any action. If you do not have a copy of your contract with the publisher, you can consult the journal’s policy either in SHERPA-ROMEO or DULCINEA.

What can I do if there is typo in a record?

If you want to make any change or correction in the content of a record you should send an e-mail to

How can I access a document (thesis, article...) if it is under an embargo?

Documents under embargo will not be available online until the end date of the embargo, indicated on the record.

Doctoral thesis that are not available online can be physically accessed at The Milán Campus (If you need further information please contact

Should I deposit my Master’s thesis(TFM) in RUO?

The students will submit the documentation and annexes of their master thesis through the SIES academic services web application available on the Intranet. During the submission process, it will be specified if the work contains confidential information or if open access dissemination is consented. Eventually, if the Master Thesis can be distributed openly, it will be automatically uploaded to the Repository of the University of Oviedo, so it is not necessary for students to carry out any additional procedures related to the RUO.

Should I deposit my Final Year Dissertation (TFG) in RUO?

Final Year Dissertation (TFG) that have the consent of the author for their dissemination and have the endorsement of the corresponding tutor, will be automatically uploaded to RUO.